Author Topic: My new test server  (Read 644 times)

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
  • Busy with learning to script
    • View Profile
My new test server
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:46 am »
Hi, some of you might have noticed that I have been inactive lately. But that's not because I have been in a cave, no. It's just that I'm learning to script and that takes most of my time. Fortunately I can say that all this time that I have been out has not been wasted, but invested in something productive: I have been creating my very own gamemode and also, for the admin script, I have made a modified version of the popular Lethal admin filterscript. The result of it is here: 176.31.142.86:7783
The server has a password: rustlersareepic and I hope it has no important bugs, but can't really guarantee it because it hasn't gone through an intensive testing.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

[R]EnzoMortelli

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
Re: My new test server
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:40 am »
nice :)

i noticed that the server did not let me /cry if i /wank'ed before recently, the other way round it works perfectly, so if i /cry first is still can /wank at that time. But not other way round, idk if this is desired ^^

i noticed it switches to grenade everytime i enter an interiour except ammunation, idk if that's desired too, also with /weapons cmd the ammu checkpoint seems pointless, maybe remove it?

Takes the server at least 5 seconds to recognize i'm paused, idk if this can be any better, as this won't recognize pilots pausing to get behind an enemy. Also idk if the chat messages for pausing were public or private, if they were public this could cause endless spamming if there'd be plenty players.

Didn't find any option yet what to do on the server, but the police boats @pirates in a mans pants are awesome ^^

Didn't test the /weapons by now, zone protection seems to work well.

I'm missing infernus and elegy, but maybe i didn't look around too well for them.

Also ask qwer for the R-base @Fisher's lagoon map, would be awesome to add it there.

cheers :)

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »
Ok first of all I must explain the main features of my gamemode. I didn't explain them in my first post because it was 5:00 at night and I had to go to bed.
Basically, my gamemode is more or less what I have always wanted to make: a mix between Littlewhiteys and AboveUltimate, in which there's a zone for normal deathmatch (with db and helikill, of course), and another for Hydras, Hunters, miniguns and all that kind of overpowered stuff. At first (long before I started to learn scripting), my idea was to use parallel worlds: one for dm, and another for Hydras. However, I later discarded this because if you are flying a Rustler and want to fly in both zones, you would have to be switching between parallel worlds all the time. Also, a dm in Las Venturas doesn't need a whole San Andreas map, but just the city is enough. So now, to keep both zones in the same world and at the same time make the necessary division, the city of Las Venturas is marked in green on the radar: this means that it's a protected zone, where Hydras and Hunters can't enter (if you try to do it, you get ejected and the vehicle autodestroyed), and where the script automatically removes miniguns, rocketlaunchers, grenades etc. from players. On the other hand, all the area outside the green zone is for the WILD MADNESS, in which almost everything is allowed.
Surrounding this green zone there's a yellow border, which tells players where the limit between one zone and the other is. If you fly a Hydra or a Hunter over this yellow border, you get a warning message telling you not to continue.

But the differences between the green zone and the outside don't end here: out of the green zone, Rustlers, country rifles and sniper rifles kill with one single shot, like in this video:

So if someone has a minigun, you still stand a chance against him without having to use another minigun yourself. Also, players can fly jetpacks in both zones, but in the green zone they can't shoot from them, because if you are driving a car it's very annoying to have a player with jetpack shooting you from the air, so in the green zone jetpacks are only for flying around without fighting. This way, players in the green zone face a compromise: if they fly jetpacks they can avoid dbers, but in return are more vulnerable to helikilling. Also, regarding jetpacks and the differences between zones, in the outside you can get one from the weapons menu (I explain this menu below), whereas in the green zone you need to find a jetpack pickup. This is because if you are a dber in the green zone, it would be very lame if your victim could escape by spawning a jetpack anywhere and anytime. In the outside however this is not a problem because you have Hydras and miniguns anyway.
Also, in the green zone there's a piece of script such that, if you surf on a car that has a driver, your weapon is switched to fist. This is to avoid those gangs 3 vs 1 that are so common in LW and that go with one of them driving and the others on the roof of the car with M4's. However this is allowed out of the green zone, since an alone player with a Hydra can easily defeat one of those gags. For this very same reason, also passenger db is disabled in the green zone but enabled out of it with all weapons (even with minigun!!). This means that in the wild zone, 3 players could fight, one with a Rustler and the other 2 in a Dodo, one of them flying it and the other shooting a minigun as passenger, just like Qwerbeet, Slice and I did in LW one day:

Regarding passengers, the script disallows to be a passenger if the vehicle has no driver (both in the green zone and out of it), to avoid unfair situations like a Rustler fighting a player on foot and the player on foot getting in as passenger.

Apart from all of this, my gamemode is also focused on two additional things: Rustlers and newbies.
For the first thing, apart from the ability to kill with one single shot out of the green zone, it has another feature: every time a player gets in a plane or helicopter, he's marked as "pilot" (Enzo I guess you have already seen a chat text saying "You are now a pilot"). When a player is marked as a pilot, Rustlers can kill him with one single shot anywhere, both in and out the green zone. Also, if a pilot dies with the skull while there are other pilots around him, he will respawn where he died. This way, imagine that you and I are in a Rustler fight, and then I crash my Rustler: in other gamemodes, I would just die with the skull and you wouldn't score my kill. However in my gm, I will respawn where I died and with no vehicle, so you will be able to kill me with one shot and score my kill. When a pilot is killed by another player, or if he dies alone with no other pilots around, he stops being a pilot and becomes a normal player again. Pilots are marked in light blue, whereas normal players have different colors.
And regarding newbies, my gamemode has a lot for them: to start with, there's the weapon menu that I mentioned before. Just type /weapons and you will be able to choose almost any weapon you want and get it with 9999 ammo, for free!! This is what I call EASY AND INSTANT FUN!! After all, Rustlers have infinite ammo, Hydras have infinite ammo, Hunters have infinite ammo... so why not players too? Also, free weapons means more equal chances for everyone, unlike when you have to buy them and regulars have the best weapons while newbies have only shitty ones. The other features intended to make newbies' gaming experience easier are mainly focused on vehicles: there's a piece of script that automatically fixes your tires if they get popped, there's another that fixes the wings of airplanes (you know that sometimes when you fly a plane and you hit something, your wings get damaged and your plane starts tremoring) so planes still lose health points but their fly remains stable, and there's another that avoids your car instantly exploding (you know when you are in a car and several players shoot at it, that it explodes before you have got totally out of it).

And well, right now I don't remember any other important thing that has to be mentioned.
EDIT: Oh yeah, one last thing: you might have noticed that the gamemode's name is "Carfight/aircombat". Well, the aircombat part is already described, but the carfight refers to db: if I publicly name the server with driveby, some people might think "boooo that's lame!!", however if I name it "carfight" they might think "hmm sounds interesting". You know, it's an euphemism.

i noticed that the server did not let me /cry if i /wank'ed before recently, the other way round it works perfectly, so if i /cry first is still can /wank at that time. But not other way round, idk if this is desired ^^

Hmm no, that's not desired, but I just tried it now and it worked fine for me. My intention is that you can't use any of the two commands in a row, and that you have to wait 10 seconds between each usage.
By the way, I took those two commands from a cops and robbers server that I have been playing in for more than 2 years. I just didn't mention that server here before because it has no Rustlers. I asked them for permission to script those commands for my gm and I had no problem: http://ls-rcr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20557
Actually, in that cops and robbers server, the /wank command has also a wanking animation, but I haven't added it to my server because I still don't know the best way to stop animations.

i noticed it switches to grenade everytime i enter an interiour except ammunation, idk if that's desired too, also with /weapons cmd the ammu checkpoint seems pointless, maybe remove it?

Well I haven't worked with the interiors yet, at the moment I have focused only on the main parts of the gamemode. As for the grenade, yeah that's normal, because the script automatically gives you grenades and minigun everytime you exit the green zone, and my script considers that if you are in an interior you are out of the green zone.

Takes the server at least 5 seconds to recognize i'm paused, idk if this can be any better, as this won't recognize pilots pausing to get behind an enemy. Also idk if the chat messages for pausing were public or private, if they were public this could cause endless spamming if there'd be plenty players.

Yeah it takes some seconds to recognize players pausing. The problem is that Samp doesn't have a native callback to detect players pausing, so you have to make your own, and if I reduced the detection time, many times the script would wrongly think that a player has paused without that being true. In fact I have seen a few false pause detections with myself, so I'm thinking of actually increasing the necessary time. Have you seen that in LW, it takes several seconds for a paused player to have his nick in black? I'm sure that's for the very same reason.
I know that pausers in Rustler fights are a problem, but I don't know if it's possible to script anything against that with a reasonable server load.
And yeah those chat messages are public. If one day I make my server public and it gets a good number of players, I might remove those texts.

I'm missing infernus and elegy, but maybe i didn't look around too well for them.

Indeed here comes another of the most amaizing features of my gamemode: the vehicle set is random, so when a car is destroyed and a new one spawns in its place, it can be any random model, and with any random colors!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:00:10 pm by Gryphus One »

[R]EnzoMortelli

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »
Ok, seems there are a few more things to test there.

I'm currently in exams :C= learning the **** out of my brains,
also there are still 5 exams left, of which 3 are on 3 days in a row, then one week to learn, then another two days exams :/

after that i have two days to relax before the new semester starts, maybe i'll drop by then and have a look at all of that.

Actually by reading your post yet, sounds **** awesome so far, except you know that i don't agree with your gamer reward and level politics, but as it's your server i won't complain ;)

Good work gryphus :D

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:42 am »
Today I have been working with the interiors and the spawn protection. I have removed the Ammu checkpoints (actually I'm using a filterscript that I have found in Samp forums), and I have also modified my spawn protection script so players are protected in all interiors and also have a spawn protection when they come outside (to avoid door camping). Apart from that I have fixed some minor details, and I'm about to upload the new files to my server.

Ohh by the way, another thing that I forgot to mention yesterday is that I have a script that enables you to select your weapon when you are a passenger, without having to get out of the vehicle and get in again!! although in some situations it fails and you have to get out and in anyway...

Actually by reading your post yet, sounds **** awesome so far, except you know that i don't agree with your gamer reward and level politics, but as it's your server i won't complain ;)

Good work gryphus :D

Yeah my intention has always been to create something unique and awesome. I forgot to mention that apart from mixing dm and Hydras, and apart from Rustlers and newbies, another of my goals has always been to unleash all the freedom and features that SA-MP has. If GTA San Andreas (and therefore, SA-MP) is, even after so many years, still one of the best games ever made, it's not because of its graphics, nor because of its physics, nor because of its sound effects, not even because of the big extension of its map. No, it's just because it's probably the most complete game and it has everything!! cars, bikes, boats, planes, helicopters, tanks, RC vehicles, jetpacks, weapons of all kinds... so the ideal SA-MP server should have all of them to have nothing to envy single player mode. For this reason, I have been thinking of adding Seasparrows, Rhinos, Vortexes and RC Barons too, but the problem is that I don't know where to put them: they are too powerful for the green dm zone, but too weak against Hydras, Hunters and miniguns. In the case of Rhinos, I might give them increased vehicle health (like 20k or 30k) to make them more durable and realistic, but I would have to change some things of my spawn protection script because it affects vehicles' health. Also, Rhinos are too slow to roam the whole San Andreas map, however they fit well in a city, like emulating some kind of urban war, so my idea is having them in Los Santos and adding an option to spawn there in that spawn menu you get in the class selection screen. I might add this in one of my next updates.

And what to you mean by "i don't agree with your gamer reward and level politics"? do you refer to the free weapons with 9999 ammo? yeah as you said once, they have them "stuffed in their arse" ;D
That's also why I have put several News Mavericks to make helikill easier.

So have fun!!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:48:23 am by Gryphus One »

[R]EnzoMortelli

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »
Vortexes! Add them to chiliad, my suggestion would be. Cuz they can fly.

sea sparrows ...
also have a look at the normal sparrow, the one without minigun, id 469, for the green zone.
sea sparrow is absolutely superiour to hydras, because of the rocket's sync being rather bad.
you could say it's actually as powerful as a hunter, i once managed to kill one hunter twice with it in some battlefield-like server, and still had around 300 hp left.

btw, did you add boats yet? trains? on most servers i only see passenger trains, nobody uses the freight version of the brown streak. And don't forget about the SF Cable cars while we're at it.

Also would be fun to add some trailers, like those for tractor, airport baggage vehicle or utility van.

Just sayin' :P

And yes, uknow what i mean :p

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
Hey I can post!!! looks like the forum is up again!!

qwerbeet

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:45:35 am »
Now it is ;)

[R]EnzoMortelli

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:15 pm »
wooohooooo

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:13 pm »
Qwerbeet by the way, when are you coming to Madrid?

qwerbeet

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:11:16 am »
On friday ive been to an airport to ask about flights to madrid, they said most flights are sold and those left cost me 450? (only the 2 flights). This is rediculous.
Even the club offered a travel for fans with flight, transport from airport to santiago bernabeu and back + tickets for 500?, so .. that offer is also not avaible anymore. We are still planning if we can come by car, but we need 4 or 5 persons for that. If we won't find 2 more persons it's kinda impossible to do it by car. ;)
btw Gryphus, there will be around yellow 9000 supporters in bernabeu for that game. That's why it's hard to find flights :)

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:45:25 am »
Ok guys, I have kept doing some small updates to my script and I think it's almost ready for its opening. The day that happens I will buy a Hosted tab, increase the player slots of the server and create a forum. However, there's still a problem: I don't know what name to choose. I don't want the server to be named after me (i.e, I don't want a name like "Gryphus whatever"), so here are some of the names I have thought of and their explanation:
  • -Everybody's Fun. This one has a double meaning: in first place, because as the server is very complete and offers many of the features of the game, it will be enjoyable to many kinds of players, like dbers, Rustler pilots, Hydra pilots, helikillers, minigunners, jetpackers, etc. And in second place, because as the server is easy, it will be playable by everyone and not only by a skilled elite.
  • -Total New Fun. This name comes up to my mind only because the concept of this server is totally new. However, imagine that in 3 years my server is still up: its concept won't be new anymore by then.
  • -Wild Madness: This name refers to the zone of the map that is not marked in green and where almost everything is allowed, like Hydras, Hunters, miniguns, etc. However this name doesn't make any reference to the mentioned green zone reserved to normal dm, and that zone too is very important in my server.
  • -San Andreas Unleashed (SAU): Once again this name refers to my server being quite complete and unleashing many of the possibilities of the game. Also, it refers to the gameplay taking place in the whole San Andreas map instead of being focused on only one city, although Las Venturas still has a primary role. I think this name is my favourite of the four and also SAU looks like a good acronym for a server.

So what do you think? any suggestions? have you thought of other names?

[R]EnzoMortelli

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
'AYCE - All You Can Eat'

qwerbeet

• Administrator
  • Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 04:02:31 pm »
Wild Madness

Gryphus One

• [R]ustler Team member
  • Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:39:44 pm »
I have just seen that Dejo has joined my server. I was paused, and by the time I came back he had already left, but I could see in the chat that he said "I need to talk with Gryphus" (there was another player apart from him and me).
I guess that he found my server because one of you told him, so does any of you know what this is about?